My Inspiration

My Inspiration

Wednesday 26 October 2011

A few final thoughts on The Help...

****SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't read The Help, and plan to, don't read this, because I'll probably give too much away. ****

So, I finished it.

The Help.

And I have to say.

Big let down.

The whole book was so good, it had such great build up to this fantastically huge ending that was going to blow your mind...

Then nothing happened.

I mean, a couple things happened,

but nothing really big and important and blow your mind kind of thing.

I was actually really disappointed. 

I had such high hopes, because the author really made you love the characters. All of them. You just felt right there in the mix of it. I would get shivers with the "foreshadowing." Which actually, was not foreshadowing at all. It was just a bunch of teases, making you think there is going to be a huge big blow up about this book that they're writing, when in actuality...

Nothing happens.

I mean, cool, Skeeter decided to be her own person, move to New York, and not marry the guy. BUT...she didn't really do any of that on her own. He broke off the engagement. She had no more prospects in Mississippi. She had no other choice but to leave. So did she really grow? Or was she just running away from the problems?

Seriously, big disappointment. It really felt like the author was putting everything into this story, and writing this huge build up to one great big event, then she got bored, or her deadline was the next morning, and she just...I dunno...finished the book in an hour just to get it done.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I have ruined the book for you, or if you think I'm a total literary idiot and have a completely different view on it, share it with me.

But in my opinion? Not worth the hype it's gotten.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I agree, the ending did suck.. But I still loved the book! :)

Jenn said...

I liked the ending. I was happy that Skeeter left home for a job she was interested in. I also thought that the fall-out from the book was very realistic. There was no way that Hilly would let them get away with writing that book. I was actually happy that Aibileen was fired so that she could pursue a career in writing instead of being some ungrateful family's maid. I really loved the book. Maybe I'm the only one who liked the ending. I also liked the ending to Lost. I think I was the only one. I may be broken inside. :)

Just Another Mummy Blog said...

But Skeeter didn't leave because she really wanted too, she had no choice. Yes, she got a job, and that's great, but she didn't do it soley because she wanted to, she had no other options. She couldn't stay where she was.

And, there wasn't really ANY fall out. Yeah, Aibileen was fired, but that was pretty much it. And considering through the whole book there was much worse talk about the maids, I was surprised that the "fall out" was so sparse.