My Inspiration

My Inspiration

Sunday 20 November 2011

A disconnect...

Hello my faithful readers.

I'm just making a quick post to inform you all that you won't be seeing me for a week or 2!

Nope, not going on vacation. I'm just taking a vacation from the electronics in my house.

The last couple of weeks I've being feeling un-inspired, and kinda weird, and just...I dunno, not me. I was pulled out of my funk for the most part. Then when I went to the open house on Friday and was out with the girls I felt more of my inspiration coming back to me.

I have been thinking about it all weekend and wondering what has been up with me and I think I've come to some kind of understanding of it and what is at the root of my un-settled self.

I have become a little too dependent on the virtual world.

I feel like I need to check my Facebook, lest I miss something.

I can't stop checking to see if my blogger friends have updated at all.

I want to check out all the cool things other people are creating on Pinterest.

And it needs to stop.

I do so much as a mum and a wife that I was justifying my computer time as "me" time, but really, what kind of creating and enjoyment am I getting from it? Some kind of voyeuristic guilty pleasure? Probably.

Please don't think I am bashing social networking or saying that it's terrible if that IS you down time, I'm just saying that for me, it's taking away from my own self and my own inspiration and my own creating.

It's time for me to stop checking out things on Pinterest and start making my own creations.

It's time to stop reading about all of your fabulous lives on blogs and start doing my own fabulous things.

Its's time to call my friends, instead of writing on their walls.

So, I am taking a break. I am disconnecting. Not from you, my wonderful friends, but from the world inside a screen.

Please, don't think I don't want to hear from you, I would love a phone call (as long as it's no later than 8. We're turning our phones off at 8 from now on.), or even just pop by and I'll throw the kettle on for some tea. But if you're looking for me on Facebook or my blog, you're not going to find me.

I know it's actually going to be kind of difficult, even if it is only for a week. But I rarely call people. All my appointments are in my email which is causing me to write a lotta notes. It's so much easier to find phone numbers, locations, hours of operation online. 

But, it's going to be nice to be "cut off" for a little while.

So, my awesome followers, I will see you in week, possibly 2 if I can handle it.

I'll miss you, but maybe you should try it too. I'm not saying you need to get offline for a week or anything, but maybe for a day or two, don't check facebook, or twitter, or email.

Just try it. You might be surprised at what you can accomplish! I know I will be.

3 comments:

Erin @ Living In Yellow said...

I totally respect you and admire you for this. I think what you are doing is awesome...it's amazing how dependent we can become on all this social media stuff, but in reality it is not very fulfilling...it is in LIVING our lives that we find our happiness. I will miss you but I wish you the best over the next week or two. Just come back please!

Jenn and Calvin said...

I've done this before. It's not nearly as hard as you think, but there is a certain convenience factor you lose out on. Looking forward to hearing from you on the telephone - and getting together for a tea!

Just Another Mummy Blog said...

Thank you Erin, for the vote of confidence! I am so glad I did it. Was so nice to feel so inspired again.

Jenn, so sad we didn't get a tea date, oh well, guess we'll have to try for sometime this week?!?